Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Learning from Nothing

"That's just like Ms. Jamie. Making us learn something out of nothing."
- D, 1st period, Playwriting

And that's why I love my job. Despite what you may have heard, all the days off and the free health insurance isn't why I teach in one of New York's poorest neighborhoods. I mean all the mind-blowing bureaucracy is a sweet perk, but if you ask my why I do this, I'll give you a full-on Lean on Me answer.

I do it for the kids.

I do it for those micro moments when D puts pen to paper to brain.

I do it because making better readers and writers may be the most revolutionary act in the world.

I do it because students like D make me laugh. I do it because she did learn something today. Along with about 50 or so of her colleagues. And I only teach 4 classes. I do it because watching my students "learn from nothing" (otherwise called ENGAGEMENT) may be one of the greatest joys of teaching. I do it because MUSIC is an amazing teaching tool. Ice T, Johnny Cash, Ella Fitzgerald as explicit instruction. Yes. I do it because watching your "good ideas" manifest in front of you feels really freaking satisfying.

I do it because inciting a covert locavore revolution in my other English class is dangerously fun. (Today we debated advertisers' role in childhood obesity. And it's only Tuesday. Come on!)

A food revolution in Brownsville?

Hope.

I do it because I'm really, really tired and yet I felt the need to write this blog post. For catharsis. For posterity. So I can remember that funny thing that D said 8 hours ago. I do it because those comments ARE my day.

1 comment: